The iPhone, The Haves, And The Have Nots

Disclaimer: I have written this post with no intentions to offend, nor to appear as "holier than thou". Some issues, while difficult to discuss, are of such importance that they can not, should not be avoided.
It appears I may have struck a chord with my last post in revealing my feelings about Apple's latest contribution to our society's need for technological bling. Because of comments made, both on the blog and off, I feel the need for further discussion. While one the reasons I will not be purchasing an iPhone is its hefty price tag, there are other reasons, far more subtle, that I would like to explore here.

First, let me say that there are some people that probably do, in actuality, deserve to own an iPhone. It would be a shame, for example, if Tony Vincent (the king of mobile devices) didn't have an iPhone to use, to understand, and to aid in explaining to others its educational uses and intricacies. Indeed, I can personally think of no one more qualified than Tony to use such a fine piece of technology (other than, perhaps, Steve Jobs himself), as he is a veritable mobile device connoisseur. Of most other's justified entitlement, however, I have serious doubts.

Take the business executive, the politician, or even the school administrator (the Haves) - are these people any more deserving of such an expensive device (simply because they can afford it) than any of their subordinates? While I, as a high school principal may actually feel entitled to such a luxury, I am no more deserving than any one of the teachers at my school, or the students, or the custodians, for that matter (the Have Nots). Furthermore, I am no more meritorious than the child, crying for hunger in one of those far corners of the world I have chosen to forget.

That's right. Call it extreme, but I see the iPhone as little more than an additional symbol of privilege.

Now, don't get me wrong: I love technology and believe that if you're not using technology to teach, then you should be. Nevertheless, the cost of such use is tremendous and should be greatly weighed against other priorities. Furthermore, as Americans and citizens of privilege (yes, if you're reading this blog then you probably fit into this category - American or not) we need to do a much better job of distributing our wealth and watching out for the little guy.

Image Sources - 1, 2

Technorati Tags:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Creative Commons License
Original content distributed on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.